Thursday, December 14, 2017

Doing the Deacon thing

A few months ago Wifey and I were approached by our pastor who asked if we'd be interested in joining church leadership - her an elder, me a deacon.

It was a bit of a crazy request, mainly because it's unusual for husband and wife to both be in church leadership (especially if they have a young family), but he felt it was a possible prompt from God so thought it worth exploring.

We were a bit surprised, but offered to go away and think/pray about it. Having done so, we felt it was right to accept, but to stagger things slightly - Wifey to start 'Eldering' first and me to 'Deac' a few months later.

Wifey has taken to her new role well, and is realy in her element. Me, I've only just been voted in (it was unanimous I think, so there's a vote of confidence!), so I have yet to find out what it's like.

It's dawned on me that I am of the age where me and and a lot of my peers are now the ones in church leadership, which is sort of scary. Years ago, I used to watch the leaders from the congregation and see them as older, wisened 'grown up' people, and it's a bit weird to think that maybe younger people now see me that way (maybe not the 'wisened' bit - just the 'older' bit).

I don't feel at all qualified, but I guess I have a reasonable length of life experience to draw upon (although maybe not so much when it comes to churchy stuff).

Who knows? Maybe I'll end up being a pastor one day (cue copious amounts of laughter and derision).

No comments:

Post a Comment