Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Adventures in baking: Soda Bread

I'm trying to develop my 'thing' which is baking bread. I haven't done much for a while due to the demands of life and parenting but now I'm beginning to find the time again.

My previous efforts have been mixed, but I'm determined to get it right and a book my mum lent to me has some useful guidance on this gluten-based dark art.

One of the recipes in the book is for soda bread, which is so fantastically and stupidly easy any fool could make it. This is primarily because it doesn't involve kneading. You just bung all the ingredients together and let the chemistry do its thing before chucking it in the oven.



I was pretty happy with it. My only disappointment was the slightly dough-y bottom which is a problem I always seem to have. Not sure if it's the temperature of the oven or my kneading (or mixing in the case of the soda bread) that's an issue.

Oh well, must keep trying - I'm sure I'll crack it eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment