Monday, November 30, 2009

Best - Arcade - Game - Ever!

When I was a teen, I had a few holidays in Somerset with my cousin
and family. We stayed in a little cottage that was on the grounds of a
farm, surrounded by the beautiful West Country scenery.

Occasionally, we'd get the opportunity to go into the local town,
Minehead, and hit the amusement arcade on the main street.
In those days, the games were the likes of Gauntlet, Star Wars and
Pole Position but we only had time for one game: Paperboy!

Why? I don't really know. All I can say is that it was quirky (think
about it - a video game about a kid who delivers papers),
it has gorgeous graphics (even now, 20 years later they look good)
digitized voices (a big deal in those days) and funky music.

It was also annoyingly difficult!

I no doubt spent a small fortune lobbing coins into the slot so that
I could just have 'one more go' - but it was worth it.

Thanks to the wonders of YouTube I can see Paperboy again in all
it's glory. Technology truly can be a wonderful thing.

Shame I can't actually play the game, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment