Monday, April 20, 2009

The Cross of Christ

A post-Easter musing, loosely related to my previous posting about suffering ... courtesy of my bible notes from John Stott:

"I could never myself believe in God, if it were not for the cross. The only God I believe in is the One Nietzsche ridiculed as 'God on the cross'. In the real world of pain, how could one worship a God who was immune to it?

I have entered many Buddhist temples in different Asian countries and stood respectfully before the statue of the Buddha, his legs crossed, arms folded, eyes closed, the ghost of a smile playing round his mouth, a remote look on his face, detached from the agonies of the world. But each time after a while I have had to turn away.

And in imagination I have turned instead to that lonely, twisted, tortured figure on the cross, nails through hands and feet, back lacerated, limbs wrenched, brow bleeding from thorn-pricks, mouth dry and intolerably thirsty, plunged in God-forsaken darkness. That is the God for me! 

He laid aside his immunity to pain. He entered out world of flesh and blood, tears and death. He suffered for us. 

Our sufferings become more manageable in the light of this." 

No comments:

Post a Comment